BETTER APPROACH. BETTER RESULTS.
Serious, approachable attorneys for personal injury
and family law cases.
≡ VIEW OUR PRACTICE AREAS
Purchasers of goods and services have consumer protection laws to protect them against fraudulent and misleading business practices. In 1973, the Texas Legislature passed the Deceptive Trade Practices-Consumer Protection Act (DTPA). The DTPA declares over 30 specific acts by businesses as false, misleading and deceptive, including the following:
- Representing that goods or services have characteristics they do not have
- Representing that goods are new when they are actually used
- Representing that goods or services are of a particular standard when they are not
- Making false or misleading statements about the need for repairs to be made
- Representing that a warranty involves rights it does not have
- Representing that work or service has been performed when it had not been
- Intentionally failing to disclose information about a good or service to induce a purchase
For example, we handled a case for a local business owner who had a nationally recognized security alarm system company install a security system at his business. The security company told the client that four movement-sensing cameras would be installed. In reality, only three cameras were installed and only one of the three worked. Weeks after the installation, thieves broke into the client’s business and stole over $40,000 worth of inventory and caused over $15,000 worth of damage. The security company was held responsible under the DTPA for misrepresenting to the client that work had been performed when it had not been.
Call Today To Learn More
Wronged consumers can recover money for the economic loss, mental anguish and attorney’s fees incurred for DTPA violations. If you or a loved one has become a victim of false, misleading or deceptive business practices, call The Daws Law Firm today to see how we can help you make a wrong situation right. Contact our offices in Beaumont, Texas, at 409-838-6000, or use our online contact page for a free case evaluation.